I am not a doctor. Please don't take what I say as a replacement for medical or mental health advice. I also may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in my posts. Full affiliate disclosure and disclaimers can be found here.
A few years ago my husband asked me to make Chicken Cordon Bleu. I had no idea how to do this, so I googled some recipes and immediately figured I’d fail miserably. Thankfully, I am not a quitter and pressed on because now this is a family favorite!
Chicken Cordon Bleu takes a wee bit more time than some of my usual dinners, but it is well worth it. It’s also super easy to make Gluten Free! It’s baked, not fried, and I only use one slice of cheese per roll-up thing, so it’s fairly light too. Not to mention Low-carb! Toss some roasted broccoli on the plate and you’re done!
My personal mission is to try and have my family and me east MOSTLY healthy. And this recipe is comfort food enough that we all win. This is a kid-favorite for us too. (Read as ‘a great alternative to those highly processed nuggets all kids seem to love.’)
Check it out! If you try it, please let me know what you think or any tweaks you made!
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 4 slices deli ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 cup Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
- 1 tbsp spices i used Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- preheat the oven to 350F.
- mix the spices in the breadcrumbs on a plate or in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise so you have 4 equal sized ‘slim’ breasts.
- Pound each piece of chicken flat (about 1/8″) I place a piece of cling wrap over the chicken in order to keep the mess to a minimum.
- Roll a slice of ham around a slice of swiss cheese. Then roll the ham and cheese up in one of the flattened pieces of chicken breast.
- Coat the rolled up chicken/ham/cheese blob and coat in bread crumbs. Once all the pieces are coated sprinkle the remaining breadcrumbs on top of the chicken roll-ups.
- Bake the chicken for 30-35 minutes until done. Using a fork, scoop any melted cheese from the pan bottom on top of the cooked chicken breast and serve.